[nycbug-talk] Any web stat program that collects data on time to serve

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Aug 1 17:11:14 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 04:41:21PM -0400, Edward Capriolo wrote:
> I have been tasked with collecting the time-to-serve (milliseconds) from
> apache logs. I know this is a really fun and interesting tasks. I setup
> awstats which I thought had this out of the box. I was wrong. Does anyone
> know a tool/package that can collect and display 'time to serve' in a
> meaningful way to try and help find "the slow page". I am looking for
> something I do not have to code up myself, because frankly then i am
> responsible for it indefinitely. (and I have other things to deal with)

assuming you are only interested knowing how long it takes for your
httpd server to serve up a page i reckon you are using mod_header in
apache and pulling pertinet fields from that.  i do not know of any
programs that will do this for you, but it seems like a pretty simple
script that you can drop into your monitoring agent of choice.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_headers.html

in prod environments i tend to rely on external vendors with
geographically distributed POPs to monitor response time to give me a
better view of how we are doing - keynote for example.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org