[nycbug-talk] Off topic: S3 backups

Brian Gupta brian.gupta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 16:15:02 EDT 2011

It's not a library issue. You MUST in all cases delete all the
contained objects first. If you have versioning turned on, deleting
the old versions requires that you go out of your way to "delete
everything", so it's unlikely that you would accidentally delete the
bucket. That said, if you want to be extra safe, and you are willing
to put a bit of time into it, you should be able to create the access
restrictions you desire through a combination of S3 ACLs and AWS IAM
(Identity and Access Management) See the following for more details:
http://aws.amazon.com/iam/ and
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/index.html?UsingIAMPolicies.html

- Brian Gupta

New York City user groups calendar: