[nycbug-talk] DNS naming scheme mind-blocker :)

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 19:20:31 EDT 2011

I like naming from most-specific to least, in proper DNS fashion. We actually do similar things here across our data centers. So I'd say:

puppet.$datacenter.$client.$tld

The only reason we did this was for the aforementioned most-to-least specific strategy. You can obviously configure puppet to use whatever you want. A nice side effect, though, was being able to reference puppet as nothing more than "puppet" thanks to using resolv.conf search settings and always getting the closest server.