[nycbug-talk] How do you bootstrap puppet?

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Mon Aug 29 11:34:13 EDT 2011

Hi folks,

I'm launching a puppet setup from scratch.  Historically, I've simply
setup /etc/puppet/manifests|modules on the puppetmaster and launched the
puppetmaster and puppet processes and let puppet configure itself to get
the master up and running.

However, I'm now using external nodes via LDAP as well as MySQL for stored
configs.  So before puppetmaster can be "fully operational", I need MySQL
and openldap installed and up and running as well. So I'm wondering how I
setup the LDAP portion of the server:

* Should I just do that manually?

* Should I create a node.pp with just my puppet master and nothing else
and enable external nodes after the puppet master has been puppetized?

* Should I write a bootstrap.sh script that installs MySQL, OpenLDAP, and
puppet master, gets them up and running with their appropriate
configurations, checks out the puppet repository from SVN, and then signs
the local certificate to continue configuration of the local box?

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!

-Matt