[nycbug-talk] Measuring Disk Performance

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:12:33 EST 2011

the advantage to some of the heavier tools is that they attempt to break
caching mechanisms so that you can see worst case performance.
dd looks cool since it certainly skips any possibility of filesystem
speedups.
I'd just say to make sure 1G (or whatever you test with) is large enough to
break controller and on-disk cache.