[nycbug-talk] OpenSSH book

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 23:39:28 EDT 2011

On Jun 3, 2011, at 21:49, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
> I think back to the manner in which Dru has queried people for book content and tips, and imagine we could do the same for an OpenSSH book, if there's a need.

OpenSSH is a neat tool. On the one hand it offers a very simple "give me a shell" functionality which will at least encrypt traffic and prevent MITM attacks. On the other hand it has some powerful, although somewhat esoteric uses.

The simple stuff doesn't really need explanation, IMHO. I'd love to see something that covers forward and reverse tunnels, auth mechanism integration, security/convenience tradeoffs of passwords vs. GSSAPI vs. DSA keys, why agent forwarding can be a bad idea and why it can be a good idea, and discussion of some of the stranger features like, say, UseLogin.

OK, the last one was to stroke my ego. Does anyone actually use UseLogin?

-bjc