[nycbug-talk] OpenSSH book

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 6 08:55:36 EDT 2011

On Friday, June 03, 2011 11:39:28 pm Brian Cully wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2011, at 21:49, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com>
wrote:
> > I think back to the manner in which Dru has queried people for book
content and tips, and imagine we could do the same for an OpenSSH book, if
there's a need.

> OpenSSH is a neat tool. On the one hand it offers a very simple "give me a
shell" functionality which will at least encrypt traffic and prevent MITM
attacks. On the other hand it has some powerful, although somewhat esoteric
uses.

> The simple stuff doesn't really need explanation, IMHO. I'd love to see
something that covers forward and reverse tunnels, auth mechanism integration,
security/convenience tradeoffs of passwords vs. GSSAPI vs. DSA keys, why agent
forwarding can be a bad idea and why it can be a good idea, and discussion of
some of the stranger features like, say, UseLogin.

> OK, the last one was to stroke my ego. Does anyone actually use UseLogin?

I've used it at a past job to make ssh connections respect /etc/login.access.

--
John Baldwin