[nycbug-talk] OpenSSH book

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:23:48 EDT 2011

On Jun 6, 2011 2:42 PM, "George Rosamond" <george at ceetonetechnology.com>
wrote:

> On 06/06/11 13:14, mikel king wrote:
>>

>> On Jun 6, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
>>
>>> That's precisely the sort of weird edge case I'm NOT covering.  :-)
>>>
>>> I am doing tunnels and security of agent forwarding, but not GSSAPI
>>> and complex auth mechanisms.  The latter vary wildly depending on
>>> operating system.
>>>
>>> My target reader has downloaded PuTTY, typed in a username and
>>> password, and says "I'm secure!"  Once you have a handle on keys, X11
>>> forwarding, and restricting certain keys to certain commands (for
>>> automated use), they'll be able to use man pages and google for that
>>> weird crap.
>>>
>>> ==ml
>>

>> So you'll not likely be covering rendezvous points and the like?
>>

> I think the point ML is making about the audience is important.
>
> It's for PUTTY users. . . think about what next steps the majority of
those users need.

> Tunneling would certainly be front and center from my guess, as using
keys.

> There's nothing wrong with people raising more advanced functions and
configs with ssh or sshd, since some of that stuff might fit in.  And
actually, I think it's a cool idea to add a section for "the adventurous" as
mundane as the points might be to many others.

> But it seems to be, this is the "next step" for users just putty'g without
keys, not knowing how to create tunnels, etc.

> I suspect these are the people who haven't been smart enough to tunnel
their traffic at technical conferences :)

I'd cover how to convert keys from one format to another, viz openssh vs rfc
vs? file permissions, possibly.