[nycbug-talk] Cacti Sucks, So what do I replace it with.

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:20:33 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Jason Dixon <jason at dixongroup.net> wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 12:18:56PM -0400, Mark Saad wrote:
>> Talk
>>   I have a good question for you. I started to hate cacti for a few
>> reasons I dont want to get into.
>>
>> I know that a few other trending / monitoring projects have reached
>> critical mass have a good number of people using them.
>> What do you recommend I move to.  Here are my requirements.
>>
>> 1. SNMP Polling
>> 2. RRD , SQLite, or Berklydb data storage
>> 3. I don't want it to lower my tco or bake me a cake .
>> 4. Flexible trend management.  (If I want to trend nfs read operations
>> for 100 servers into one graph I should not have to jump threw hoops)
>>
>> So people have pointed me to
>>
>> 1. zabbix.com
>> 2. munin-monitoring.org
>> 3. ganglia.sourceforge.net
>
> I'm a big fan of Graphite (http://graphite.wikidot.com/). There are a
> lot of agents (Munin, collectd, gmond) that already support it. It will
> also read in any existing RRD files you have, which is really nice. It's
> less of a dashboard than Cacti; currently it excels at metrics storage
> and complex graph creation. But it does server-side rendering and
> supports all creation options as HTTP parameters, so it's easy to adjust
> graphs on the fly, embed them in your own HTML dashboards, etc.
>
> I gave a recent talk at PICC on using Graphite in conjuction with Nagios
> and PNP4Nagios to get more ROI on your existing Nagios installation.
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/obfuscurity/trending-with-purpose
>
> --
> Jason Dixon
> DixonGroup Consulting
> http://www.dixongroup.net/

Much appreciated, all. Cacti has it all there, it just needs to be
rewritten from scratch... which isn't going to happen.

Did not know that munin, collectd, and gmond have stuff that spews to
graphite... nice!

There is a lot of interest out there in getting a good replacement
going, and many projects. It's good to see all of these efforts come
out at once. Some projects are looking at what others are doing, and
it's making a great feedback cycle... the Bazaar!!!

-jesse