[nycbug-talk] ipad remote storage question

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:51:47 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Marc Spitzer <mspitzer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I just dont know enough about apache presently and need to
> read some but here is a sanitized webdav directory config:
>
>        <Location "/userid">
>                #AllowOverride None
>                Options -Includes  +Indexes
>                #Order allow,deny
>                #Allow from all
>                Order Deny,Allow
>                Deny from all
>                AuthBasicProvider ldap
>                AuthName "pilot project"
>                AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
>                AuthLDAPURL ldap://url_here
>                AuthType Basic
>                Require user usrid
>                satisfy any
>
>                Dav on
>
>        </Location>
>
> While this does work maintaining 2-400 of these chunks is something I
> would like to dodge if possble.
>
> thanks,
>
> marc
> <http://lists.nycbug.org/mailman/listinfo/talk>

I don't know of any drop-in ways to do this, although it would be a great
open source project.

When I had to do something similar a couple years ago, I used a script to
dynamically create the directories and write an .htaccess file to each of
them. It seemed better than having a monolithic config, if for no other
reason than I didn't want to have to restart the server with each change.

Same script modified an .htpasswd file, adding the username and password for
the user. I like the LDAP approach better, though, since you probably
already have a directory of users.