[nycbug-talk] OT: what version of RHEL/CentOS are you using in prod?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Nov 22 18:56:18 EST 2011

On 11/22/11 3:07 PM, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> I know we all work with FreeBSD on a daily basis but usually have a client or two (or more) using CentOS/Rackspace.
>
> Specifically, I have a client who was using FreeBSD in their current environment but I'm currently migrating their project to Rackspace Cloud.
>
> I was developing the puppet setup on CentOS 5.6 but low and behold, CentOS 6.0 became available today as an available OS.
>
> Looks like 5.x is end of life for updates but will still get maintenance fixes.
>
> If you were starting a new, cloud-based project today, would you use 6?
>
> Matt

I'd def hold off on 6.x until 6.1 is made available.  redhat does have a
long tail for supporting releases - so unless you need a specific
version of gcc, python or some other package and do not feel like
packaging it yourself i'd stick with the 5.x tree.

for example - we run 5.x in prod, but i've spun our own versions of
python, postgresql and puppet.  EPEL
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL) is a good resource for backports of
packages as well.

hope this helps!
- pete (workin' on rhel too much for my own good) wright

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org
www.nomadlogic.org