[nycbug-talk] Dennis Ritchie has passed

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:13:15 EDT 2011

I was traveling to San Fran for a conference a few months back. At the time
I was on a language kick and had purchased books on objective-c, clojure,
lisp as well as the 2nd Edition Ritchie book because my c is getting rusty.
Because I had 5 ounces too much shampoo I had a bag screening. The TSA guy
opened my bag saw the Ritchie book and said "That is a classic." We talked
for a while, his story was he had gotten out of the field during the
dot.combust. In today's world writing an "evergreen" book about
technology is a
difficult task. I really loved the section on malloc, "C Programming
Language" book is something everyone should own. Sad to hear the news.