[nycbug-talk] rc.conf / rc'ng hacking

Isaac Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Thu Oct 13 14:59:11 EDT 2011

On Oct 13, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

>> - The mfsroot bit:
>
> Just a quick pointer in case you're not aware of it - mfsbsd might be helpful as it's already got many of the basics in doing a remote install/upgrade handled.  http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/  It's based on "depenguinator".  I use it in combination with PXE booting, but that's not the only option.
>
> Charles

Quick question to clarify: this is still a fairly risky procedure, no?  Some partition on the machine has to be stable enough to persist the mfsroot for reboot/install, right?

I've never put mfsroot and bare-metal upgrades/installs in the same thought before... so this is both intriguing and scary :)

Rocket-
.ike