[nycbug-talk] ZFS question

Isaac Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Mon Sep 26 22:26:10 EDT 2011

On Sep 26, 2011, at 9:52 PM, Henry M wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
> Quick question for the ZFS users in the audience:
>
> The box in question will have 8 SATA drives on it.  The RAID card (which isn't going to be doing any RAID) has four SATA ports.  There's four more SATA ports on the motherboard.
>
> Anything I should be concerned about here in terms of performance and data integrity?
>
> TIA
>
> George

> ZFS isn't that great for performance. For large data-stores, it's great. It has a lot of good features and adding new harddrives to a zpool is a snap.
>
> I always recommend to setup a hotspare (or 2) with any zpool. I've run into data errors in the past with zfs, but you can usually fix it with a zpool scrub if you setup a RAIDZ or mirror. (I recommend running a scrub occasionally to identify any integrity issues)
>
> Regards,
> Henry

IMHO ZFS vs. UFS is faster is speculation...  It all depends severely on config, layout, and usage- either can be faster in different cases.

I'd love to see some vendor donate a bunch of different disks, a few decent multi-disk chassis, and setup some real tests... but until there's some real benchmarks all I can back that up with is my .02¢

(Anyone know how we could pull off NYC*BUG collaboration with Tom's Hardware or something?)

Rocket-
.ike