[nycbug-talk] Arpanet dialogues

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Mon Dec 10 14:51:03 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Raul Cuza <raulcuza at gmail.com> wrote:
> context: http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2011/04/so-reagan-signs-into-this-chatroom.html
>
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Bill Totman <billtotman at billtotman.com> wrote:
>> On 12/9/12 9:44 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
>>>
>>> Some crazy stuff here:
>>>
>>> http://www.arpanetdialogues.net/
>>>
>>> Online chats from 1976-1979.  The first one I'm reading through now, and
>>> it's funny to hear discussions about the enormous potential impact and who
>>> will fund its growth and usage.
>>>
>>> Too bad nothing has been invented since ;)

"Some people have assumed that the archive is real. Did this surprise
you? Have you had any negative reactions?
This reaction was completely unexpected, and it was not our intention
to fool people."

Well, I think many people indeed got fooled by this and it was part of
their original plan.  There is no statement on their website that all
of this is a work of fiction.

--Andy