[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD & Google Analytics

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Dec 11 15:42:30 EST 2012

On 12/11/12 14:57, Pete Wright wrote:
> On 12/10/12 18:37, George Rosamond wrote:
>>>>

>>> As does Postgresql.org.
>>
>> And Ubuntu puts spyware in their OS.
>>
>> Let's all rush off the cliff!
>
> I know this was intended as a tongue-and-cheek reference..but i think
> there is a pretty big distinction b/w integrating 3rd party advertising
> into your OS to make money off your end users versus leveraging 3rd
> party tools as part of a feed-back loop to improve documentation and
> site usability.

I have no cheeks!

(yes, tongue-and-cheek, but...) The reality is that what was
unacceptable before has become the norm, specifically with privacy
related issues.

So what an Ubuntu could dare to do today was unheard of ten years ago.

The parameters of what's acceptable have shifted for the worse.

> anywho...didn't realize netbsd and postgresql were both using
> GA...interesting.

I noticed NetBSD was doing this a while back.  I'll ping some NBSD
people and see what they say, but bad stuff, IMHO.