[nycbug-talk] call for RAM donation for Mirror box

Isaac Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Sun Feb 19 00:24:35 EST 2012

On Feb 18, 2012, at 9:29 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
> On 02/18/12 20:14, Izaac wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 06:26:03PM -0500, George Rosamond wrote:
>>> The box can take up to 32G, but we'd be more than happy to bring it
>>> up to 8G or so.
>>
>> Uhh, why?  Did FTP/HTTP/rsync file transfer suddenly become a memory
>> intensive operation while I wasn't looking?
>>

> No.  But it affords us the possibility of using the box and storage for other purposes.
>
> Besides, we're asking if anyone has it around, we're not asking for cash to buy it.

After having run FreeBSD/cvsup internal mirrors for years, as well as large filesystems, as well as ZFS filesystems, I can definitely think of a ton of great uses for the memory...

Even if having 8gb memory means that the disks can hum along using ZFS, the time-saving features for those donating their time to administer the boxes is well worth it.

my .02¢

Best,
.ike