[nycbug-talk] NetBSD on ARM

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Feb 28 12:19:58 EST 2012

On 02/28/12 12:04, Marco Scoffier wrote:
> On 02/28/2012 08:56 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
>> There's so much activity around ARM. . . we need to have a meeting on
>> porting to it. Anyone?
>>
> Great meeting idea. I'd like to see this.

Yup. . . we've been trying to find someone on ARM (or MIPS) for a while.

There is a lot going on with those architectures, and we've never done
them justice.

Because it's there?  Since it is many times larger in install base than
i386 and amd64 combined?

I'm not sure what Justin means about 'motivation' though.  I know that
he's not being facetious :)

How about this:

http://blog.pfsense.org/?p=625

Much cheaper stuff available than i386 embedded stuff like Soekris or
Alix (as much as I love them).  And low power requirements.

The Raspberry PI's are coming out in the next day or so, as I mentioned
initially.  What a nice cheap platform for sooo many purposes.  I mean,
$35 and you could use an SD card for storage?

Not to mention cell phones.

Of course, the issue, AFAIK, is that each ARM chipset needs a different
architectural port.  It's not like i386 which could work on quad core
(if you wanted) and also Alix boards.