[nycbug-talk] SOPA DOA

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Jan 17 11:32:50 EST 2012

On 01/17/12 11:25, mikel king wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2012, at 10:57 AM, Edward Capriolo wrote:
>
>> I did not read into SOPA beyond a glance, so I am not saying I agree or disagree with it. But I recently spent 9 months of my life writing a book.
>> I sold 400 copies up to Q3 this year.
>>
>> I checked some USENET stats for number of times my book was illegally downloaded just a couple weeks after it came out. It was over 300,000. I can find thousands of sites to illegally download it from.
>>
>> It would be nice if I could just get $1 ( about 0.025% the cover price) from each person that illegally downloaded my book.
>>
>> Not saying that I am super brilliant or deserve to be rich, but what is fair is fair. You download my book I should get SOMETHING for it.
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM, mikel king<mikel.king at olivent.com>  wrote:
>> Some good news for a change.
>>
>> Obama Says So Long SOPA, Killing Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation http://onforb.es/zcgtED
>
> SOPA&  PIPA were drafted to address this sort of issue but the broad scope power that it gave copyright holders and the government were seriously out of line. If PIPA dies next week I am sure that these two proposals will be re-envisoined, hopefully into something more sensible.

Yeah, sorry Ed.  Don't think this legislation nor the general
'protection of IP' measures had people like you in mind.

:)

Fundamentally, these acts are measures to undercut the semblance of
neutrality on the internet.  I would even say it's a move to
"balkanizing" the internet beyond what anyone would have ever envisioned.

The major questions are around control of DNS and a guilty before even
charged enforcement.

There's a reason why the brunt of internet businesses are against it.