[nycbug-talk] Question: Who do you use for residential internet access in Nassau County NY

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Thu Jul 26 13:27:06 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Chris Snyder <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Mark Saad <mark.saad at ymail.com> wrote:
>> All
>> I am moving and  I was wondering who people are using for residential
>> Internet Access in Nassau county . I wanted to keep my existing DSL +
>> POTS service from big red, for various stupid reasons, but they are
>> claiming they do not have the ability to install or maintain copper
>> lines in my area and I have to get fios . I know this is total
>> bullshit for a number of reasons , including  the fact the people who
>> live in the house I am moving it no have pots service .
>
> Whoa, sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I have to ask.
> Isn't the telephone company required to maintain copper lines to all
> residences by law? There's a universal access surcharge on all of our
> phone bills for that reason.
>
> If Verizon is pushing FIOS that hard, that's a surprising level of desperation.

You cant quote me but I believe that if Verizon is a Regulated Public
Utility they have to maintain their infrastructure for the public
good. However that's fairly vague and big red could claim that fiber
and copper are the same.

Other then that my biggest issue here is this: with POTS verizon
provides emergency power to provide ringing and line voltage . So if
the power goes out , my phone still works . With fios , the consumer
now has to provide backup power to provide ringing and line voltage .
Which at best is about 2hrs,with the fios ups they provide. I, as the
consumer, could upgrade this but its my cost and why should I have to
upgrade big reds gear to maintain the same level of service provided
by the older "more antiquated " copper service.

Mark Saad | mark.saad at ymail.com