[nycbug-talk] UNIX Trivia Questions

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:10:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Isaac Levy <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For the record, here's the UNIX trivia questions from last night:
>
> Who wrote the first Unix screen editor?
>        irons
>
> Who bought the first commercial Unix license?
>        rand
>
> Who bought the first Unix license?
>        columbia
>
> What does FUBAR mean?
>        failed unibus address register

This last one, at least, isn't completely true: 'FUBAR' definitely
predates the advent of Unix, and comes from military slang.  In good
military fashion, it is an acronym that stands for, "Fucked Up Beyond
All Recognition."  It is often paired with its other military cousin,
'SNAFU': "Situation Normal: All Fucked Up."

I'm not saying that Rob Pike was wrong when he put those questions
together, but that one is certainly ambiguous.

        - Dan C.