[nycbug-talk] Home storage server build

Jonathan jonathan at kc8onw.net
Sun Mar 4 21:07:15 EST 2012

After having 2 drives fail within hours of each other and losing yet
another stick of RAM in my current 6 year old FreeBSD ZFS storage server
I'm looking at building a new one next week.  If people are interested
I'll try to keep the list up to date on what I find.

My current requirements:
Budget - Probably $500-$1000
Must have ECC RAM

My current hardware (that I will reuse):
Coolmaster Stacker case w/ 850 watt power supply
My current drive array 4x 1.5TB and 4x 2TB drives (2x ZFS RAIDZ)
LSI SAS 3081E-R HBA
2x 5in4 SATA hot swap bays

My current question is what motherboards would you recommend?  Brands to
look at or avoid or specific models are welcome.

Currently the best performance per dollar for a CPU seems to be the
Intel E3-1230 or E3-1235 by quite a bit
http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59137.  AMD offerings in the same
price range don't appear to have anywhere near the performance.

I plan to put as much RAM on the board as my budget can handle.

Jonathan