[nycbug-talk] Meeting Feeler: Non-BSD projects Using BSD software

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Mon Mar 12 13:08:45 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Matthew Story <matthewstory at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I will continue to run FreeBSD personally, and very much like the fact
> that it is a complete OS, with a coherent and non-political objective ... as
> a system, I think that *BSD projects could benefit from encouraging those
> who are interested in running components of this system (either kernel or
> userland) married with other components.  Conversely, I think those involved
> with other projects could benefit greatly by marrying portions of *BSD
> systems into their own systems.

This is exactly what we are trying to accomplish with MINIX 3 and
NetBSD userland.  As the MINIX philosophy is more akin to the ancient
UNIX V7 goals, e.g. the emphasis is put on minimalism, simplicity and
correctness, it's rather obvious to a modern researcher that *BSD
systems has a more structured and lean base to work with than
GNU/Linux.

The license issue is also of utmost importance here.  BSD license
empowers the project with more opportunities, especially when it comes
to commercial embedded market.

We will see even more projects adopting *BSD components in their own
work -- this trend is definetly picking up, and I am glad for this as
I know that those components are mostly much better engineered than
other competitive technologies.

--Andy