[nycbug-talk] my sysctl quest

Isaac Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Tue Mar 13 22:31:30 EDT 2012

On Mar 13, 2012, at 10:26 PM, George Rosamond wrote:

> On 03/13/12 22:21, Isaac Levy wrote:
>> Some messy and informative sysctl docs (circa 2005),
>>
>> On Mar 13, 2012, at 9:08 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:
>>
>>> # grep -niR SYSCTL
>>
>> Reading source is extremely fun and rewarding,
>>
> Keep making noise.
>
> There might be a nice fun direction to take with this quest.

Yes- Tom Rhodes had one thing right: this needs to be a system utility, and it needs to be rendered in an automated fashion.

This tool's particular implementation makes some assumptins I find strange, e.g.:
- it only generates docs for sysctls that a given system has available
- it doesn't give complete descriptions of a sysctl in big-picture context, (not broad-use documentation)

> And I assume what you say about the lack of documentation applies to all the BSDs.

For sure- all UNIX systems which implement sysctls!

Rocket-
.ike