[nycbug-talk] Cool read about history of /bin /usr/bin/

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Mon Mar 26 15:12:45 EDT 2012

On Mar 26, 2012, at 2:59 PM, Henry M wrote:

> I always like reading where certain Unix "formalities" came from.
>
> "Understanding the bin, sbin, usr/bin , usr/sbin split"
>
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html

The history is interesting, but his "get off my lawn" rant about carrying this historical cruft is a prime example of why I generally don't enjoy the way things are done in the linux world.  There's a good rebuttal to his point a few messages further on.  In short, putting stuff essential for booting on the root fs still has practical uses.

On a tangent, can anyone explain "/var/lib" in the linux world?  That one has always perplexed me.

Charles