[nycbug-talk] Cool read about history of /bin /usr/bin/

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:23:36 EDT 2012

That is interesting.
I typically do not mount volumes (especially nfs) off / because
programs like slocate need to be configured to skip them. (I know FTW
slocate but I use it) Since slocate dodges /mnt and a couple other
places I use those.

I did not know the /mnt temporary deal. It seems that like /usr/bin
and /bin I have gotten a standard from the wrong way I always see
things.

I see what you are saying about /var/log and /var/lib/db. Your points
are well taken with two caveats. Linear log writes in /var/log
appending usually does not competes with a database. If there is
contention you are likely logging to much anyway.

I do agree that you always want to isolate the IO across devices
considering cost and power, however in reference to the /var/lib
conversation packages need a sensible default to persist stuff on a
single disk system. In that regard I think /var/lib//${something} is
an acceptable choice so is /usr/local/${something}.