[nycbug-talk] Request for NYCBUG Help

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Mon May 14 22:16:06 EDT 2012

"Jim B." <jpb at jimby.name> wrote:

> So I return from BSDCan to find an email invitation
> to speak at the Open Source Working Group at my current
> employer (who should remain unnamed please).
>
> I had earlier mentioned that I was a BSD aficionado and
> was offered an opportunity to join this group which
> explores, discusses, tests, recommends, and actually
> uses Open Source software.  While most of the discussions
> I've seen in the past are about software libraries, and
> specific applications, they offered to let me talk at
> the next meeting (May 24) on anything BSD.  I'll have
> 20-30 minutes, so it's not a lot of time.

20-30 minutes is not a lot of time.  I'd try to focus on what might be
most helpful to your organization: the fundamental difference in
licensing between BSD and GPL.  I'd suggest talking a bit about the USL
vs. BSDi lawsuit (establishing that the BSD license is actually court
proven) and then discuss general differences in philosophy, talking
about ownership of software versus release-and-forget.

You can use your list of wonderful BSD-licensed software as
illustrations for all the good that came out of it, but, given your
target audience, it's probably worth noting a number of the commercial
successes and benefits of BSD licensed software.

In such a short time, I'd probably less focus on the actual BSD OS, and
only note the three main lines in reference.

-Jan