[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 9 installation failure

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Thu Oct 18 12:19:13 EDT 2012

> See http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/.  If you need help after looking at that page
> let me know.  Pretty straight forward.
>
> You can do zfs mirror or zfs stripped using that install image and your
> hardware.  If you are i386 you need at least 512Mb memory....I know my
> x86 box crashed at 384M under heavy I/O load.
>
> The least I have run on AMD64 has been 4G and zfs is great that way.
>
> If you want to go the gmirror route google FreeBSD gmirror onlamp and
> you will get the article that I follow when I do gmirror installs.  I
> can never remember all the details.

The dedicated facility installing FreeBSD for us just reported back for
the final time:

"I think we'll have to give up on FreeBSD 9. We tried cdboot, bootonly
ISOs on two separate chassis with and without RAID. Looks like we just
can't support that OS."

I trust them a lot - they've never had any problems with FreeBSD 8.x.  Is
FreBSD 9.x really that picky?  I've installed it a few times without
issues.  I'm wondering if the incorrect image is being used - the box has
8 GB RAM, so I'm assuming the 64 bit OS (amd64) is correct?

-Matt