[nycbug-talk] X11 installed anyway??

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Oct 25 13:23:33 EDT 2012

On 10/25/12 10:14, Pete Wright wrote:
> On 10/25/12 08:23, nycbug at wynn.com wrote:
>> Greeting-
>>
>> I am in the middle of installing ejabberd on a headless server and it
>> seems to
>> need X libraries too.
>>
>> It would be nice if authors actually thought about these things when
>> they
>> were coding.
>
> I am %99 sure that ejabberd needs various X rendering libraries for
> fonts the webUI utilizes.

which i should add this is all hidden if you are running a java
implementation of a XMMP daemon (openfire for example) as those
libraries are either part of the base JRE or bundled as jar files w/ the
app itself.

if you really want a lean XMMP implementation you may need to look at
jabberd2:
https://github.com/Jabberd2/jabberd2

although you loose all of the greatness of erlang/mnesia for distributed
xmmp deployments (i've done it, it's great for organizations with
multiple offices around the globe), and ease of management that openfire
could potentially give you (AD integration for example).

anywho...different strokes for different folks...

-p

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org