[nycbug-talk] Slightly OT but: Laptop with DB9 serial adapter?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Sep 5 20:45:29 EDT 2012

--
Charles Sprickman
NetEng/SysAdmin
Bway.net - New York's Best Internet www.bway.net
spork at bway.net - 212.982.9800

On Sep 5, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Lawrence Teo wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 07:51:24PM +0100, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
>>

>> On 5 Sep 2012, at 19:43, Josh Rivel <josh at rivels.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Not too concerned about the specs, just needs to be somewhat decent
>>> quality and have a good old fashioned serial connector on it.
>>
>> If it doesn't have to be new then a second hand thinkpad should do the trick.
>
> Right, I still use an old ThinkPad A22m from 2001, mainly because it has
> a built-in serial port. :)
>
> George's suggestion of distributing USB to DB9 cables everywhere might
> be more practical though. :)

There are also so many nice adapters out there now, many of which are really no harder to lug around/keep track of than an actual serial cable, for example:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=765162&cats=199&catid=199%2C601%2C461

Or if you need to make your own crazy cable for special gear:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USB-RS232-WE&cats=199&catid=482%2C199%2C601%2C461

And if you like blinky lights so you can see if you've got rx/tx on the link:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-3M232-STP&cats=199&catid=482%2C1303%2C199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601

There is so much cool gear here - they're a little on the pricey side, but I keep buying because they're clear about what chipsets these use so you know whether it's going to be *BSD friendly.  I have a number of serial "console servers" built out of a bunch of the 8/16 port boxes they sell there.  Really neat stuff.

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

Charles