[nycbug-talk] Software Freedom Day - this Saturday at ITP (Interactive Telecommunications Program)

forest mars compustretch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 19:11:26 EDT 2012

As I had mentioned at last month's NYCBUG get-together, I'm looking forward
to seeing NYCBUG'ers at Software Freedom Day, which is this Saturday, and
isn't strictly about GPL licensed software, but FOSS development ecology in
general.

I do understand however that the beer will be "Free as in beer."    -ƒ

The 5th annual Software Freedom Day
NYC<http://cfsg.org/Software-Freedom-Day-2012> will
take place on Saturday September 15, 2012 from 6:30-10:00 pm.

The New York celebratory event will be held this year at ITP, NYU's school
for the Interactive Telecommunications Program, located at 721 Broadway
(between 8th Street & Washington Place.)

   -

   As in previous years this will be a celebration of the merits and
   successes of free software, with food & drinks ("free as in beer") and a
   short program of speakers. This is also a "hack friendly" event; we will
   have 2 large breakout rooms so bring your laptop to demonstrate a project
   you're working on or engage in informal collaboration.

At 8:00 pm there will be a short program including presentations. Scheduled
speakers include:

   - James Vasile of the Software Freedom Law Center on "Free Software vs
   Censorship and Surveillance"
   - "Wikipedia Takes Manhattan” -- presented by Wikimedia NYC (following
   up on this afternoon’s photo-walk departing Bowling Green at 3pm, and
   arriving at ITP at 7pm)
   - Jon Stanley on the Fedora project
   -

   Occupy <3s Open Source -- presented by
TechOps<http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/TechOps> of
   the NYCGA (NYC General Assembly)

as well as short talks on other free software projects and distributions.

After this program there will be a reception, including a key signing.

For full event information please see the official announcement at
http://cfsg.org/Software-Freedom-Day-2012

For more information about Software Freedom Day see the Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Freedom_Day

Forest Mars
--
"In theory, theory and practice are exactly the same.
In practice, they're completely different."