[nycbug-talk] Wikipedia updates

Ah Pook ahpook at verizon.net
Tue Apr 16 15:05:42 EDT 2013

On 04/16/2013 02:20 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM, George Rosamond
> <george at ceetonetechnology.com <mailto:george at ceetonetechnology.com>> wrote:
>
>     Anyone have the privileges/login to Wikipedia?  So much updates to
>     make/inaccuracies to correct when it comes to the BSDs.
>
>     Look the ARM hardware... RPi, for instance.
>
>     The "Comparison_of_proxifiers"...
>
>     It would be nice if we had a dump box for this stuff.. .that someone
>     could pickup and then rectify on Wikipedia.
>
>     The reality is, people do use it as fact.  Sort of like that AllState
>     commercial with "Everything on the internet is true"...
>

> You don't need to do much to edit Wikipedia. You just sign up and then
> do it. I did this a last month just to remove a link to an incorrect
> Haskell implementation of the Graham Scan algorithm. So far, nobody has
> undone the edit even though that's the only thing I've ever modified
> anywhere on Wikipedia.
>
> I don't think you'd run into problems even if you did this through a Tor
> proxy under different pseudonyms for each edit ;)

You don't even need to sign up, generally.  That's the whole point -
anybody can edit.  There are pages that get... argumentative, so
sometimes you're required to have an account, but it's pretty rare.

Tor's hit and miss - there's so much vandalism through tor nodes that it
might take you a while to find one.