[nycbug-talk] RSA/DSA for encryption: has it's time come?

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Tue Aug 27 21:57:19 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:50 PM, George Rosamond
<george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
> Okan Demirmen:
>> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM, George Rosamond
>> <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>>> Okan Demirmen:

>>> So I'm in the process of getting a client to pickup better practices
>>> with SSH, and found out even OSX 10.7.5 doesn't support ecdsa.
>>>
>>> AFAIK, Putty doesn't either yet, and I doubt SSH for Windows does either.
>>
>> So many things there just blew my mind...but OK, I'll mend myself later :)
>>
>> I'd simply recommend to them to start using keys, regardless of type -
>> get them in the habit, and whenever these other tools get support for
>> the new fangle stuff, just add to authorized keys and migrate.  Just
>> get them in the habit of thinking about keys instead.  I'm sure you
>> know all this....
>
> Like most of the sane world, they are using keys.. with passwds.  I'm
> going the next step.

I figured.  So here's my issue, and you can call it a double-edged
sword if you want - one is storing private keys on client that lives
in an extremely hostile environment - that is the vector that needs to
be addressed.  Sure, remove keys and use passwords instead - then
we're back to that debate.

Double-edged? Maybe, but think about the use-case and attack vectors -
that's all I'm saying.