[nycbug-talk] pfsense and tor

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Fri Dec 13 18:51:50 EST 2013

On Fri Jun 28 01:13:30 EDT 2013, fastgoldfish at gmail.com wrote:

SNIP re installing Tor on pfSense 2.03

> Darn, I was hoping that would work.

I apologize for replying to such an old post, but it's what I found.

I've installed Tor from FreeBSD 8.1 on pfSense 2.03 based on
instructions at
<http://skear.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Set-Up-a-Tor-Proxy-Server-on-pfSense>.
It works well, but it's an ancient alpha release. I've tried the same
for Tor from FreeBSD 8.2 on pfSense 2.1 but Tor won't run. I haven't
bothered debugging because it's only a slightly less ancient alpha release.

I would like to build the latest Tor release for pfSense 2.1, but that
would be a stretch for me. What would the build environment look like?

Regarding Whonix, it would be outrageous if adrelanos used pfSense for
the gateway. I do appreciate his concerns about repository security.
However, pfSense updates discretely from a relatively small group of
developers, and I gather that new versions are thoroughly vetted before
release.