[nycbug-talk] solved: Re: FreeBSD svn anonymous checkout

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Mon Dec 30 12:56:29 EST 2013

On December 30, 2013 12:22:12 PM EST, Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 05:16:14PM +0000, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm having a hard time understanding the suggested path for FreeBSD src
>> downloads using svn.
>>
>> I've been clawing through the developers handbook, but, the examples there
>> are all oriented around developers who have commit bits, (svn+ssh).  I've
>> been attempting to adapt the examples for "anonymous" svn checkout, to no
>> avail.
>>
>> --
>> What I'm trying to do: use svn proper, to fetch (and track) copies of
>> REL(9.2), 10.x and 11.x branches.
>>
>> Any urls or suggestions would be much appreciated!
>>

> The current list of mirrors is here:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/svn-mirrors.html
>
> Glen

Thanks Glen, but that didn't address my question.

I certainly found that mirrors url while reading these svn docs,
http://www5.us.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/svn.html
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/committers-guide/subversion-primer.html

My problem was that checkouts were simply not working.

--
Thankfully, I figured out that I had a typo generated somewhere between
my brain and the keyboard.

These work great:
# svn checkout https://svn0.us-east.FreeBSD.org/base/release/9.2.0
./9.2.0-RELEASE
# svn checkout https://svn0.us-east.FreeBSD.org/base/stable/10 ./10-STABLE
# svn checkout https://svn0.us-east.FreeBSD.org/base/head ./11-CURRENT

I had made a typo and put a '.' in my path,
#bad# svn checkout https://svn0.us-east.FreeBSD.org/base.release/9.2.0
./9.2.0-RELEASE
(likely was a copy/paste error from the docs pages... my bad.)

Best,
.ike