[nycbug-talk] Request for Review, Summary of FreeBSD src fetching problems

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 14 16:17:25 EST 2013

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:26:53 pm Brian Callahan wrote:
> FWIW, I'd take Brett's suggestion of a basesnap program and run with it.
> Fbsd should already have the infrastructure necessary to do this (I
> imagine it would be similar to "do whatever you do for portsnap in the
> ports dir, and do this for the base dir").

The problem with a basesnap (as compared to csup) is that it would only let
you move forward.  It wouldn't let you do bisecting operations.  With ports
only moving forward is fine.  But for source it is very common for users to
narrow down which commit causes breakage that they are seeing, and that
requires being able to move both forwards and backwards in time as well as
moving to arbitrary points in time (individual revisions).  An svnup that
functions as a light-weight svn client would provide that, but to date it has
proven a non-trivial task. :(

--
John Baldwin