[nycbug-talk] Request for Review, Summary of FreeBSD src fetching problems

Brett Wynkoop nycbug at wynn.com
Fri Feb 15 01:09:33 EST 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:55:26 -0500
Jesse Callaway <bonsaime at gmail.com> wrote:

> It should be easy enough to set up an https service with the source
> you need which is kept in sync with the FreeBSD source.
>
> Not sure what is so difficult or controversial about this. I usually
> do this sort of a thing when I have more than 10 boxes to take care
> of, just out of bandwidth and speed concerns.

Jesse-

You just do not get it.  I am an admin with 30+ years in the field.  I
can do any of the various hackenstein solutions that you or anyone else
has come up with, and I probably have come up with them before you, but
that does not address the real problem which Brian obviously did
understand.  The FreeBSD Project has been making things harder rather
than easier for the last several years.

I am saying the project needs a non-hackenstien solution like it had
before.

So I say again someone better than me needs to write a basesnap utility
and the server infrastructure needs to be put in place.  This should be
pretty trivial considering it will be basically a clone of portsnap!

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6925

April 19, 1775 An English attempt to confiscate guns from Americans
triggered a successful revolution......

     Dear Congress, that's a hint.