[nycbug-talk] Request for Review, Summary of FreeBSD src fetching problems

Brett Wynkoop nycbug at wynn.com
Fri Feb 15 14:19:58 EST 2013

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:23:11 -0600
Andy Kosela <akosela at andykosela.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Brett Wynkoop <nycbug at wynn.com>
> wrote:
> > So I say again someone better than me needs to write a basesnap
> > utility and the server infrastructure needs to be put in place.
> > This should be pretty trivial considering it will be basically a
> > clone of portsnap!
>
> There is a saying in the Open Source world and definetly you know it
> too.  You want something done the way you see it?  You better write it
> yourself...
>
> svnup in the base would be nice though.

Andy-

I could probably hack portsnap to become basesnap in a couple of days
(being realistic for testing and fixing bugs I am sure to introduce),
but doing such a utility without buy in from those who decide on how
stuff is put up on the http/ftp servers would be useless.  I believe,
but I have not had the time to look at it, portsnap requires specially
generated files daily on the hosting servers.

I am open to suggestions on how to get buy in at that level.

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6925

I would never invade the United States.  There would be a gun behind
every blade of grass.  --Isoroku Yamamoto