[nycbug-talk] CISPA 2.0's invasion of privacy is a huge and urgent problem

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Thu Feb 28 12:47:34 EST 2013

Hi Brian,

On Feb 28, 2013, at 11:58 AM, Brian Gupta wrote:

> My apologies for this intrusion, but my understanding is that many in
> this group share a similar set of sensibilities when it comes to
> privacy rights.
>
> Very recently, I've personally come to the conclusion, that CISPA,
> even in it's never "friendlier" incarnation, is a vaguely worded,
> government sanctioned, invasion of individual privacy with no real
> recourse for overreach or
> abuse. In light of recent episodes of Prosecutorial overreach, and
> stretching of laws to hound Aaron Swartz, we can't allow this to pass.
> It's going to be hard, as I feel like we aren't going to get much
> industry support, as this isn't a direct attack on internet
> businesses, like SOPA was.
>
> Please read this FAQ, it makes the flaws and issues clear, and helps
> lay out action steps, if you want to get involved in fighting it.
> https://www.eff.org/cybersecurity-bill-faq
>
> So far I've done the following, but want to hear more ideas:
>
> 1) I've written to Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's office and got a
> largely non-committal answer in response. (I think lots of people need
> to write.)
> 2) I've tweeted about it:
> https://twitter.com/HelixOne/status/307145540305580032 (This feeds
> into my Facebook page.)
> 3) I've shared on G+ (from both my accounts):
>   https://plus.google.com/u/0/103030499292048040964/posts/SaGdAJTQWgY?cfem=1
>   https://plus.google.com/u/0/112857626163792726537/posts/QCgAXueMJSf?cfem=1
> 4) I signed this petition: http://act.demandprogress.org/act/cispa_is_back/
> 5) I've started writing emails.
>
> I think we as a group should brainstorm and start reaching out to
> other like minded groups as well.
>
> Any other ideas? (Also, If you are acting or know of groups that are,
> please consider sharing.)
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

This is a pretty cool note, although people may not reply very loudly on list regarding privacy concerns, I believe most people who've been part of internet infrastructure for as long as most of us have, are pretty like minded on these issues.

I think the EFF Link you shared is terrific,
> https://www.eff.org/cybersecurity-bill-faq

it has a quick form to easily email your Congress/Senate representatives.

I think all the other ideas you pasted are great- personally, I'm continuing to share the EFF link with friends and colleagues.

Best,
.ike