[nycbug-talk] pkg breakage today?

Isaac Levy (.ike) ike at blackskyresearch.net
Wed Jan 2 13:55:38 EST 2013

Hi All,

So I may have chosen a bad day for it, but I've had need to wrap my hands around pkg(NG) in FreeBSD 9.1 today.

Question:
Is it me, or are the remote pkg servers offline or something?  I've been following the handbook docs, and can't 'search' or then 'install' anything with it- and I mean anything.

Best,
.ike

--
Sidenote (not trying to flame-bait with this, really):
I haven't kept up with the state of the art with pkg(NG) until now, and it's pretty ugly to see this betaware out in the FreeBSD base, as though it's the only package manager on deck.

# cat /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf
packagesite: http://pkgbeta.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest

Am I just behind some great curve, or is this whole thing a bit sloppy?
(The util and docs are at least thoughtful, I must say).