[nycbug-talk] OT: I need a new steam boiler

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Fri Jan 4 16:32:54 EST 2013

All
  I have a way off topic question . My home heating system is on the fritz
again . It's a antique oil fired steam boiler , it's 85 years old by my
guess . I want to convert to a gas fired steam boiler , but I want one I
can run on batteries or one that doesn't need external power at all. From
my research I could get a standing pilot , micro volt, natural draft
vented, gas fired steam boiler . In that setup the pilot light heats a
thermocouple which generates the micro volt power to run the gas valve and
control system .  Does anyone have this sort of setup ?

The other option would be to go with a electric ignition , natural draft
vented gas fired steam boiler and have a manual switch setup after the
ac/dc transformer to allow me to switch to some  deep cycle marine
batteries , which I could in turn charge via solar or standard electric ?
 The batteries would only be used in a power failure . Anyone ever tried
this ?

Well if anyone has any ideas or can recommended a good boiler let me know .

---
Mark Saad
mark.saad at ymail.com