[nycbug-talk] OT: I need a new steam boiler

Brett Wynkoop nycbug at wynn.com
Fri Jan 4 18:29:34 EST 2013

Greeting-

In any case you will need some source or electric power to run the
thermostat.  For my set up I have a gas fired boiler with a pilot light
and a small battery/inverter combo to run the thermostat.

Thermostat circuits seem to be 24 volts AC in this country.  So I have
a 12 volt battery with a 100 watt inverter (small cig lighter type)
that puts 110 Volts into the transformer for the furnace when there is
a power failure.  I do not have it automated, but I should at some
point do that.

I have not investigated to see if the control circuit will work with
DC.  If so then one could just get a couple of 12 volt 7AH gell cells,
wire them in series and home brew a small 24V dc trickle charger to
power the whole thing all the time.  This is real easy using linear
technology by picking up a transformer and 4 diodes from Radio Shack.

I hope this helps.

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt