[nycbug-talk] OT: I need a new steam boiler

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Tue Jan 8 11:32:16 EST 2013

All
  So I wanted to point out , I had no intention of removing any of the
safety controls. I wanted to just remove some of the extra  sensors /
controls added to improve efficiency and lower emissions; to improve
reliability by simplifying the controls and removing extra trip points in
the boiler control. Most of the boilers I saw had senors to trip the boiler
, IE shut it down safely , if the system is not running efficiently. IMHO I
want heat when its cold, and it the system trips because its only running
at 70% efficiency I will be super pissed . Other then that I wanted to , in
the event of a power failure, a simple way to run the system off a battery.
Either a UPS or a home brewed setup ; using an inverter and maybe a solar
charger.

Based on what everyone said the best setup I see here is this  Boiler ->
Step-down transformer - > NEMA 5-20p plug -> NEMA 5-20r socket -> existing
20amp circuit  .  This way I could reuse a UPS I have to run the setup for
some time.

Then if I wanted to in modify this for stand-by power would do this,

Boiler -> Furnace transfer switch*---> 24VAC Step-down transformer -> NEMA
5-20p plug -> NEMA 5-20r socket -> existing 20amp
circuit                                         |

                                                  \----> 24VDC to 24VAC
inverter -> 24VDC Power , batteries solar etc

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Reliance-Controls-TF201W/p1096.html
http://www.powerstream.com/inv-24vdc-24vac.htm

What do you all think, and I missing something ?

Mark Saad | mark.saad at ymail.com