[nycbug-talk] a clarification about the csup/CVS announcement

Brett Wynkoop nycbug at wynn.com
Sat Jan 12 01:48:26 EST 2013

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:15:06 -0800
Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> On 01/11/13 13:36, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
> >
> > The point is that someone with only 4GB of space has just enough
> > room to rebuild world and rebuild kernel, but not enough room for
> > ports as well.
> we are talking about ~50MB of data fwiw to install svn and it's
> dependency tree.  obviously a non-trivial amount of disk space (and a
> good reason not to include it in base) but not 100's of MB either.
> imho
> - just use packages, it will make your life easier.

FreeBSD-10 ARM == no-packages

I am part of the group trying to get things functional on many of the
current cheap arm boards.  I am doing more breaking of things than
coding, but breaking things is important as well.

So far as your suggestion to mount /usr/src and /usr/ports from nfs it
is very good and I would already have done so, but I do not have any
working boxes with enough disk space.  I am also trying not to buy
anymore boxes.  I have 12 boxes running in my house now.  I am working
hard on this arm stuff with an eye to replacing most of my x86 boxes
with a few small arm boards with mostly non-rotating media.  I figure
my electric bill will drop by more than 50%.

-Brett
--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6924