[nycbug-talk] a clarification about the csup/CVS announcement

Brett Wynkoop nycbug at wynn.com
Sun Jan 13 13:46:09 EST 2013

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 20:35:43 -0800
Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> On 1/11/13 11:02 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 01:48:26AM -0500, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
> >> FreeBSD-10 ARM == no-packages
> >>
> > Package building on !x86 platforms is a touchy topic.
> >
> > FWIW, it is something I have heavy interest in solving, but right
> > now, lack of access to !x86 architectures for me is the showstopper
> > at the moment.
>
> ok let's make this happen :)
>
> https://www.edis.at/en/server/colocation/austria/raspberrypi/
>
> only sort of kidding...i'd chick in some money to help if there is
> interest....

Pete-

When USB is working on the BeagleBone I intend to hang enough disk on
one of my boards,  I have 2 at the moment and plan on getting a third,
to be able to build common packages and have them for people to grab if
desired.

For my own part I am not a fan of packages.  I have been building most
things I use from source for 30 years.  I only grab a package when I
can not get the source to build for some reason.

I prefer building and installing from ports because then I get to build
with the options I want.  Many programs have build time options.  I
also know that the resulting binaries are linked against the versions
of libraries I have on my system.  This seems to be more important in
the elf world than in the a.out world.  Can anyone explain to me why an
elf binary that was compiled on a system using libfoo.so.1 refuse to
run if you have libfoo.so.2 instead?  In the days of a.out binaries the
program would try to run in the case of libfoo.so --> libfoo.so.2
instead of libfoo.so.1.  If it ran it would issue a warning saying it
had a library mismatch.  I have wondered why the difference for years.
Maybe someone on the list can explain it to me.

Of course you can work around the elf issue by installing the old
library, or symlinking to the old name, but it does make using packages
a pain if you have updated anything on your system beyond when the base
release was made.

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt