[nycbug-talk] Freebsd service controll

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Jan 14 14:15:25 EST 2013

On 01/14/13 10:57, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
> Thanks for the shout on that,
>
> On Jan 14, 2013, at 1:02 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
>
>> was just reading the quarterly report for freebsd and spotted this gem - has anyone taken a poke at this yet?
>>
>> FreeBSD Services Control (fsc)
>>
>>     Contact: Tom Rhodes<trhodes at FreeBSD.org>
>>
>>     FSC has been moved into the ports system (see sysutils/fsc) and
>>     continues to improve outside of the ports tree. Some interesting work
>>     is being done in the area of services control, system boot, and a
>>     simplification of the process. Stay tuned for more information in
>>     status reports that follow.
>>

>> -pete
> URL, for the record:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~trhodes/fsc/
>
> Wow- ok, so fundamental changes in play list is now getting pretty large!
> (Pretty much everything we all know by muscle-memory :)
>
> Fast times.
yea no doubt - i really have no idea how i feel about this but am eager
to give it a spin on a VM this week time permitting.  this may actually
dovetail nicely with my work to transition away from SysV init scripts
on gnu/linux boxes and move over to systemd(1).  i'd like to see if fsc
supports some of the nice features that systemd will eventually provide,
specifically process babysitting...

-p

(1) https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/systemd
     http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html