[nycbug-talk] a clarification about the csup/CVS announcement

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Mon Jan 14 17:58:30 EST 2013

On Jan 12, 2013, at 1:48 AM, Brett Wynkoop <nycbug at wynn.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:15:06 -0800
> Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>
>> On 01/11/13 13:36, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
>>>
>>> The point is that someone with only 4GB of space has just enough
>>> room to rebuild world and rebuild kernel, but not enough room for
>>> ports as well.
>> we are talking about ~50MB of data fwiw to install svn and it's
>> dependency tree.  obviously a non-trivial amount of disk space (and a
>> good reason not to include it in base) but not 100's of MB either.
>> imho
>> - just use packages, it will make your life easier.
>
> FreeBSD-10 ARM == no-packages

There is an experimental pkg-ng repo for ARM that you can use but it doesn't have every port

# echo 'PACKAGESITE: http://people.freebsd.org/~gonzo/arm/pkg/' > /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf
# pkg update

> I am part of the group trying to get things functional on many of the
> current cheap arm boards.  I am doing more breaking of things than
> coding, but breaking things is important as well.

if you run into ports that you just can't get to compile on arm, add this to the ports Makefile
and open up a PR

.if ${ARCH} == "arm"
BROKEN=     Does not compile on arm
.endif