[nycbug-talk] Request for Review, Summary of FreeBSD src fetching problems

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 27 17:32:29 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 03:37:59PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 02:57:31PM -0500, Isaac Levy wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > To continue to weed through all the noise, on the hot 'at the bar' topic:
> > "Wny is my tool for src fetching, nearly as big as my base Operating System all the sudden?"
> >
> > I've posted what I can glean as the current state of things, I'm trying to centralize my notes on this topic, here:
> >
> >   https://wiki.freebsd.org/UsersFetchingSource#preview
>
> I'm going to mention one thing that I ran into when first using sv
> checkout.  I believe it's obvious to those familiar with svn, but not
> necessarily to those of us who don't use it.
>
> If doing svn co whatever /usr/src, one should first rm -rf /usr/src if it
> exists.  That is, if you do a basic install, include /usr/src, then do svn
> co, it may cause problems.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/svn.html states:

Warning: If the local directory already exists but was not created by
svn, rename or delete it before the checkout. Checkout over an existing
non-svn directory can cause conflicts between the existing files and
those brought in from the repository.

Glen