[nycbug-talk] pfsense and tor

fastgoldfish at gmail.com fastgoldfish at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 22:20:55 EDT 2013

I was referred to some more information about configuring
FreeBSD/pfSense for use with Tor, but most of it is over my head for
now:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2009-March/194405.html

That was shared with me by idwer in Freenode's ##pfsense. It looks to
me that what is being described there is not merely a transparent
proxy, but instead actually a more thorough isolating proxy. The two
kinds are described here:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxy
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/IsolatingProxy

It looks like it's not so straightforward as I thought it would be.
Installing Tor on pfSense and setting up some trivial routing rules
isn't all there is to it, and it's a little out of my league for now.
When the proper pfSense package for Tor is available, the system
configuration prerequisites will already be handled. Then, maybe the
problem will be reduced to the simpler routing setup that I was
originally expecting.

I hope this info helps.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 3:49 AM, fastgoldfish at gmail.com