[nycbug-talk] freebsd pkgng headsup

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Jun 26 14:00:22 EDT 2013

Pete Wright:
> more of an FYI: just noticed on my freebsd nodes that the current pkgng
> version is 1.1.2.  the one huge feature i'm excited about with the 1.1
> release is the "lock" option:
>
>  lock    Prevent modification or deletion of a package.
>

> so now i can install a pkg i've manually downloaded from an external
> repo and not have to worry about it conflicting with a pkg i build in my
> internal repo.

I caught that too.  Good stuff.

> so for example - i build VirtualBox w/o GUI support on my personal pkg
> repo - but installed a version supporting a GUI from the nycbug pkg repo
> on my workstation.  now i can lock that pkg on my workstation and can
> stop doing funny business when updating pkgs :)
>
> there are obviously a bunch of other updates - but this one is going to
> make my life quite a bit easier...

As I manually built a bunch of pkgs this last week, I have to say I'm
liking pkgng a lot.  It's really clean and simple, and seems to fill in
a lot of annoying old gaps.

Our repo hit 318 pkgs on mirrors.nycbug.org.  My intention was to only
put up a few pkgs for limited needs, but I got carried away.

If I knew it would hit this many pkgs, I would have started with
poudriere.  Now that's the next step, instead of a messy bunch of
scripts with sed being piped left and right.